According to Islamic belief, an Imam is an anointed leader or ruler. Especially among the Shia beliefs an Imam is thought (though not required), to be a prayer leader or cleric when the word is capitalized. Sunnis too believe an Imam may be a prophet; Shiites believe not all prophets can be an Imam but an Imam can also be a prophet.
An Imam is said to be anointed by Allah and a perfect example of leading mankind in every way.
The Shiite interpretation is that only Allah can appoint an Imam and no man has the power to do so. The 12th Imam is said to be a descendent of the Prophet Muhammad, having divine status as did each of this succession of sons. The 12th Imam is also called the Hidden Imam and the Mahdi (guided one).
Who is the 12th Imam?
- He will be a descendant of Muhammad and the son of Fatima
- Will have a broad forehead and pointed nose
- Will return just before the end of the world
- His appearance will be preceded by a number of prophetic events during 3 years of horrendous world chaos, tyranny and oppression
- Will escape from Medina to Mecca, thousands will pledge allegiance to him
- Will rule over the Arabs and the world for 7 years
- Will eradicate all tyranny and oppression bringing harmony and total peace
- Will lead a prayer in Mecca which Jesus will be at his side and follow in
This apocalyptic directive includes some very scary proclamations.
He spoke to the United Nations in September ’05. During that speech he claims to have been in an aura of light and felt a change in the atmosphere during which time no one present could blink their eyes. Iran’s PM is also said to have spoken in apocalyptic terms and seems to relish conflict with the West whom he calls the Great Satan.
This is while he proclaims he must prepare the world for the coming Mahdi by way of a world totally under Muslim control. He is working hard to bring about the world-wide horrors that must be in place for their al Mahdi to bring peace. This notion and goal, along with a violent hatred of infidels, America and Israel reminds us of Biblical prophecies of the coming anti-Christ and the pledges of millions to a deceiving False Messiah who will claim to bring peace.